Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Story That Has To Be Told Part 2 written by Terry "Bronsinski" Bronan

“Wow, I can't believe we just did that!”, I uttered while catching my breath after the grueling run. “Seems, like we already reached Mr.Hacklams store, we should be safe now.”
“Let's hide in the store just in case Sammy”, I told him with a worried look in my face. Sammy nodded and took a firm hold on my arm, dragging me into the store. As usual the store was empty, which was the whole reason that we had picked it for our escape from the scene. Mr.Hacklam sold weird stuff that not many people In town were interested in. While looking around we saw, weird books, dusty statues and a lot of vases, stacked on the many shelves stretching along the wall.
“Sammy and Tom, what are you boys doing here?” Mr.Hacklam's dark, proud voice suddenly pierced the air. “Mr.Hacklam, sir we are sorry to disturb you at this time”. Our voices trembled in fear as soon as he had entered the room. Mr.Hacklam was a tall gentleman, with broad shoulders and a huge white beard. He always wore a suit, bringing his cane with him wherever he went. “No worries boys, I mean no harm Now tell me... should you not be in school now?” The sweat started flood from hour trembling bodies. This is where we realized that this was the first person that we had to hide our crime from. “We skipped school today sir”!
“Oh, and why is that?” Sammy's words only juiced Hacklams curiosity even more, and his face revealed that he could read us like a book from the moment that he saw us. “We just struck down a bully with a knife sir!” My words came as a surprise to Sammy who tried to hide this very fact.
“Oh really! Why would two kids like you do such a deed?”
“Because Jack is a douche-bag!” Sammy looked at me like I had lost all sanity, he could not believe that I could stand there and unveil our whole deed so casually.

The truth is that I was so tired of this shitty life, that I had hoped to get turned in to the authorities right there, right then. But after the first surprise had faded from Mr.Hacklams face, a smile replaced it instead. “Oh really? Two boys that want to turn their life around?  Reminds me of myself when I was young. You boys did not get followed by anyone right?” With some hesitation to his voice Sammy answered: “No sir, it was only us and Jack in the corridor at the time.” Mr-Hacklam stroke his hand through his thick beard, and looked surprisingly content with the answer.
“If you are going to turn us in, do it now or leave us be!”
“Oh I will not turn you in boy! This is a huge opportunity that have come to my doorsteps!”
A big question-mark formed in both our faces. “If you boys want to fix your lives up, please do come to my store at 9:00 PM this evening, sneak our of your homes if you have to. If you do not show up, that is all I need as a no.”Me and Sammy looked at eachother with even bigger questionmarks on our faces. “There there boys, go home now and think about it!”

We left Hacklams shop with a lot of curiosity in our minds that day. We were two kids who wanted to change our lives so badly. Some would say that we grew up faster than other children. All we knew was that whatever offer Mr.Hacklam wanted to give us, we had to accept it. Or at least that is what I talked Sammy into believing, while walking towards our homes that day. When we split up that day, we had vowed to meet at the shop at 9:00 PM. Little did we know that it would change the course of our lives forever.

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment